Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wander Lust

The last couple of weeks I have been setting up my travel plans for the summer, both for work and for vacation. Now that my exams are over and I have time on my hands this has inevitably led to some fantasy travelling. We all have those places that we dream of going and here are a few places I would love to go if I had infinite time, money, and (in some cases) athletic ability.

Tour D'Afrique



There was a great article about this in the Globe and Mail this week. The idea behind this tour (check out their website ) is to bike from Cairo to Cape Town over a period of 4 months. I have this mental image of quietly peddling down a rural African road with the wind in my face and zebras running beside me. Evan pointed out last night that if this actually happened it would be terrifying because zebras are huge, but in my fantasy they don't want to trample me to death.


Morocco



Another African country I would love to visit is Morocco. From wandering the bustling streets full of fragrant spices in Marrakesh to having a drink in Rick's Cafe in Casablanca, Morocco has many good fantasy travelling activities.


Peru



A coworker of mine hiked the Inca Trail last year and it sounded life changing. The entire Inca Trail is 45 km of mountainous jungle hiking ending at the ruins of Machu Picchu. Along the way, it is possible to spot over 450 species of orchids and the nearly extinct spectacled bear.

Arctic



Here's my dream arctic cruise courtesy of Gap Adventures. The blurb promises the opportunity to see walruses, seals, narwhals and polar bears. Am I the only one who thought narwhals were fictitious?

Anyways, time to get back to the real world in Kingston!

2 comments:

  1. You know, that Arctic picture is basically just like Newfoundland. Just come visit us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Newfoundland is the only province I haven't been to and I've always wanted to go! Our national physics conference is at Memorial next summer so hopefully I will be making it up your ways (if you are still there).

    ReplyDelete